You can add new classes to Scholastic Digital Manager at any time. Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions to add, sync, or import new classes.
When you activate your first rostered Scholastic product, SDM will prompt you to create your first class. (You can create additional classes at any time by going to the MANAGE ACCESS page and selecting ADD CLASS.)
- Choose a name for your class.
- Choose the correct school year for your class—this step is especially important when rostering for summer classes.
- Choose your class's grade.
- If your class has multiple grades, select THIS CLASS HAS MULTIPLE GRADES and select the minimum and maximum grades.
Primary teachers can edit classes at any time by using the CLASS SETTINGS drop-down menu. From here, you can edit a class’s name, grade, or login method.
Changes made to district information within your Clever account will update and sync with Scholastic Digital Manager during a nightly automated sync process. This includes:
- New classes.
- Changes to existing classes.
- Student information such as first and last name and grade level.
- New students added to classes or existing students removed from classes.
If your new class hasn't synced with Scholastic, please contact your organization's Clever Administrator
Changes to your class roster, such as adding new classes, adding and removing students, or making spelling corrections, must be done in Google Classroom before resyncing with SDM.
When adding a new class, first ensure that your classes are set up in Google Classroom so that they can be successfully imported to SDM:
- Class names cannot have any special characters or emojis
- All students must have first and last names
- See also: Preparing your Google Classroom classes for import
- Sign in to SDM using your Google Classroom account. If this is your first time signing in:
- Grant SDM permission to view your Google Classroom rosters.
- Activate your first subscription.
- If this isn't your first time signing in, select MANAGE CLASS.
- Select IMPORT if you would like to import a new class from Google Classroom. You can select the class, school, and grade level.
- Make certain that you're adding the class in the correct school year—this step is especially important when rostering for summer classes.
- Choose a class and select RESYNC to resync any changes to your existing class
Any changes made in your district’s or building’s Learning Management System will update and sync with SDM upon sign in.
- Each time an educator launches SDM from inside your LMS, their list of classes will automatically sync with SDM. Also, once an educator launches SDM for the first time, their students will also be able to launch SDM from within the LMS.
- Student accounts are not created or synced until that student first launches SDM. This means that a newly created class will at first appear empty—but as soon as your students also launch SDM, they will automatically be added to your classes. Any edits or updates to student account information will also be synced.
- If you are syncing a summer school class, make certain that your new class has synced to the correct school year.